On the Use and Abuse of the Theses on Feuerbach

Sat Apr 8 15:31:04 PDT 2000

>CC: "Anyone who makes casual use of the Eleventh Thesis on
>Feuerbach is going to be expressing vulgar pragmatism . . .
>

>It's a dirty job, but somebody's got to do it.
>
>Slightly more seriously, this post was the most wonderful
>inversion of meaning I have seen all week. Marx says,
>philosophers have only interpreted world, the point is
>to change it, and CC says marx is really talking about
>the "this-sidedness of knowledge." Wild.
>
>mbs

No. Marx started as a German-style philosopher, decided that was B.S. and that he should be a French-style revolutionary, and then decided that it was more important to figure out what was going on and became an English-style political economist.

Subsequently, the Marxists have recapitulated this development--in reverse.

:-)

Brad DeLong