Another Lake Erie Watershed to be Destroyed

Tom Lehman TLehman at lor.net
Sat Apr 8 20:33:50 PDT 2000

Christopher Jones the director of the OHIO EPA sent me two copies of the document authorizing the start of the destruction of the Beaver Creek watershed which feeds into Lake Erie. This happens when the Ohio Turnpike Commission builds an interchange at State Route 58 which the Ohio EPA has just approved.

At the bottom of the letterhead is Bob Taft Governor. I've got a hunch that Bob Taft is going to be a one term Governor; either Junior Bush is going to pick him as his v.p. for his family connections and deep pockets or he's out at the next election. The destruction of the Beaver Creek watershed is a pet project of Taft's and he's promised to deliver to the Route 58 turnpike interchange to the developers which include among others the interests of Wayne Huizenga.

I don't think this is over and it's starting to get nasty on a local level. There are also tax issues here on who is going to bear the brunt of the costs of the ensuing development and environmental degradation.

Tom