WSJ on A16

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Apr 9 08:40:00 PDT 2000

Art McGee wrote:

> >2. Ours is not the only, nor the primary movement in this
>>country. We have to learn to be a little more humble than
>>Seattle. When we characterize our movement as the main one
>>in the country, (and sometimes the only) we do diservice to
>>movements of people of color such as the police brutality
>>movement, the immigration movement, the affirmative action
>>movement etc.
>
>Amen. I would like to point out that the above mentioned
>movements are not exclusively composed of or led by people
>of color, but the issues involved disproportionately affect
>them.

I ran into one of the leaders of the Johns Hopkins living wage campaign. He said they'd just joined forces with the black student association's anti-police brutality campaign, and both sides are energized by the union. He said an important catalyst behind the union was pressure from older civil rights and church leaders in Baltimore. One of the exciting things about this moment is that people are making all sorts of connections - analytically and organizationally.

Doug