Dragons in Distress (was Re: Sowing Dragons)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Apr 10 07:04:07 PDT 2000

Stephen E Philion wrote:

>Just a short note. Bello's book was an important contribution in the early
>90's to exposing the price paid for the NIC 'miracles'. However, it tends
>to fall way short in terms of analysis.

I like Bello's work, but as I recall, Dragons In Distress really overstated the bearish case - it was as if East Asian/NIC growth was all an illusion. Yes it came at a high social and environmental cost, but it wasn't all an illusion. And he was about 7 years ahead of time in pointing out the distress.

Doug

PS: We're saying "Bello" here, but he had a co-author, Stephanie Rosenfeld. I don't know anything about her other work, and I don't know what their relative contributions to the book were.