Sowing Dragons

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Apr 10 07:17:06 PDT 2000

Brad De Long wrote:

>And the big question is: Why do developmental states work so well in
>East Asia and western Europe, and appear to work so badly (India,
>Argentina, et cetera) elsewhere?

Alice Amsden said that the Asian states were not afraid of disciplining capital, while the LatAm ones were. As I remember her argument, the Korean ruling class was very weak in the 1950s, and there was no corrupt quasi-feudal landowner class plugged into the global hierachy. So the state was able to step into the vacuum and give orders rather than take them.

Doug