Money creation

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Apr 10 07:54:37 PDT 2000

Enrique Diaz-Alvarez wrote:

>Doug Noland makes a good argument that money market funds have become
>money creators not subject to reserve requirements. The crux of the
>argument is that people regard money market investments as both
>stores of value and media of exchange, just like checking accounts.
>Deposits on money markets can then be re-lent without keeping reserves,
>and as long as borrowers deposit them on other money market accounts,
>the multiplier is, in principle, infinite.
>
>http://216.46.231.211/credit.htm
>
>A counter argument by Paul Kasriel
>
>http://www.ntrs.com/rd/rd35/rd35fr.html
>

>If Noland is right, and his argument does sound more persuasive, the Fed
>has effectively lost control over the US financial system. The
>Bubblemeister could not keep consumers from going into hock to buy SUVs
>and internet stocks even if he wanted to. This may explain his bizarre
>refusal to comment on debt levels. Comments?

I'm with Kasriel on this one. Private extensions of credit must ultimately be validated by the central bank.

Both of them act as if the U.S. is a closed economy though: both ignore the inflow of foreign capital that has subsidized the Clinton boom.

Sorry to quote myself, but here's a bit on endogenous money theory from Wall Street: