Wolfie on A16

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Apr 10 08:12:31 PDT 2000

[A memo from World Bank president James Wolfensohn to the staff.]

The World Bank Washington, D.C. 20433 U.S.A

JAMES D. WOLFENSOHN President

To: All Bank Staff Subject: Spring Meetings

Dear Colleagues,

I'm sure that many of you are concerned about what you have heard or read in the media about large-scale demonstrations, criticizing the work of the International Financial Institutions, that are set to take place around the time of the World Bank/IMF Spring Meetings.

Let me take this opportunity to emphasize that I share your concerns, and particularly the ways in which these criticisms reflect negatively on the work of the Bank. We can and should be proud of the work we do in fighting poverty. This is a noble task, and a human one. Our team is as devoted and effective as any in the world. Over the last few years, I have met countless Ministers who have expressed thanks for our work. More important, I have had the privilege to talk with thousands of people in rural villages and poor urban environments, and they know the meaning of our work and the promise of our partnership. Strengthening our ability to bring about a world free of poverty is what the Spring Meetings are all about.

During the period of the meetings, we will be holding a number of discussions with non-governmental organizations (NGOs) - as we regularly do - on such topics as the Comprehensive Development Framework, Poverty Reduction Strategy Papers, debt relief, globalization, growth, HIV/AIDS and Community Driven Development. We have sent notices to over 300 NGO representatives and their networks inviting them to participate in these consultations. We nevertheless anticipate that there will be many demonstrators uninterested in discussion, and whose primary aim is to close down the meetings. Indeed, the group organizing the April 16/17 events has already asked other NGOs to boycott meetings with the Bank during the week leading up to the Meetings. I think you will agree this is counter-productive.

We certainly respect the right of people to demonstrate peacefully and express their opinions, however much we may disagree with some of them. We have much to gain from serious debate, and nothing to gain from closing down discussion, particularly since the Development Committee agenda contains many of the subjects -- notably combating HIV/AIDS, and poverty reduction in our poorest countries -- which civil society leaders themselves have helped to put on the agenda.

The next week will be a trying time for all of us. Some of you have asked how you can express your views to demonstrators. Should you go out on the streets and argue back? We do not encourage this. As an institution we will continue to urge dialogue and partnership. We will continue to work with those NGOs and others in civil society who want to join together to leverage the fight against poverty. We will continue to try and bring the voices of the poor to the table.

I will be holding a global town hall meeting on Monday, April 10, at 9:00 to 10:30 a.m. I look forward to seeing you there to discuss these and other issues in the run-up to the Spring Meetings.

Jim Wolfensohn