Fwd: VICTORY FOR WESLEYAN WORKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Apr 10 10:31:40 PDT 2000

[via Michael Eisenscher]

At 9:30 Wednesday night - after 33 hours of occupying our school's admissions office - Wesleyan students declared victory in our fight for workers'rights on campus.

We had been concerned that Initial, the contractor that employs our school's janitors, wouldn't agree to better wages and benefits unless Wesleyan agreed to pay for them. Last night, our president called Initial and told them he would foot the bill for the janitors' proposed contract. Within hours, the contract was signed. In addition, President Bennet signed a statement saying that ALL contracted campus workers would retain their jobs, wages and benefits if the university switched contractors. This means that Wesleyan can't simply drop Initial and hire a nonunion contractor. Bennet also agreed to pay for a similar contract for another group of janitors that cleans our gym, and we set up a committee to write a comprehensive labor code of conduct for the school by April 23. So far, we have faced no legal or disciplinary action.

This was an amazing victory, and we want to thank everyone who sent messages of solidarity, wrote to President Bennet, or visited our occupation. Your support means SO MUCH to us.

If anyone is planning a similar action, let us know - we'd love to help.

Thanks again to everyone.

HASTA LA VICTORIA SIEMPRE!

United Student Labor Action Coalition

Posted by: Dan Clawson clawson at sadri.umass.edu office 413-545-5974 fax 413-545-0746 home 413-586-6235 W-36C Machmer Hall, Department of Sociology Univ. of Massachusetts, Amherst MA 01003