Money creation

Rakesh Bhandari bhandari at Princeton.EDU
Mon Apr 10 11:49:41 PDT 2000

Yesterday Floyd Noriss in NYT and Bartlett today in WSJ show that buying on margin hardly accounts for much of the market at all (perhaps 9% in the late 1920s, to less than 2% today?)--the reasons for the bubble must be sought elsewhere. Evidence is that bubbles tend to encourage margin buying, rather than visa versa. Fed restrictions may have little effect, and only force resort to leveraging of other assets to participate in bubble econ. by the way, interesting front page WSJ article today, obnoxiously titled something like US brains vs Japanese brawn, on US profits from intellectual property rights. Obviously a more profitable business than making things, e.g., cars. Perhaps if this all works out--worldwide legal standards are forced to conform to US patent and copyright law--US profit growth can proceed safely ahead of GDP growth, as I suggested in an earlier post. The upcoming NASDAQ correction could be a lot less steep than we here are imagining. I am also wondering whether we should factor in a upward or downward correction of such profits. There is also the question of whether the activity that goes into development and design is labor, though primarily mental labor. If not, is the working class disappearing from the US or at least the key sections of the so called new American economy? In his Frontiers of Political Economy (Verso, 1991) Guglielmo Carchedi takes up this question. yours, rakesh