What I Learned at the World Economic Crisis

Edward E Skiba us020492 at mindspring.com
Mon Apr 10 21:59:33 PDT 2000

Michael Pugliese wrote:

> From the New Republican. Other stories are excerpts of a hagiography of
>Al Gore. Pg. 100 talks of his pot-smoking in the 70's at The Farm in
>Tenessee, the Emmett Grogran commune. Was the farm where Tracy Nelson and
>Mother Earth communed near there? Anyone have the run down on Emmett, have a
>vague sense of his notoriety in hippie lore. There is a long out of print
>book from either Ramparts Press or Straight Arrow, the RS imprint, entitled,
>"Mindf**kers, " on those characters, no?
> Michael
>Pugliese

I don't know if Emmett Grogran ever wrote a book entitled "Mindf**kers" but he certainly wrote "Ringolevio" published, I think, by Avon Press and which is indeed long out of print. I read it in the early 1970's when I was very young and it was my first exposure to radical ideas. At that time my BS detector was not so finely tuned and I remember reading with jaw-dropping amazement how this dude from the ghetto became a master jewel thief and safecracker, went to an exclusive NY prep school and screwed all the rich women, became addicted to heroin, went cold turkey, went to Northern Ireland to hang with the IRA, then wound up in California where he founded the Diggers and screwed all the hippy chicks. I don't recall anything about the Farm so I am thinking this is from a later period. I am indeed interested in what ever happened to him. I do seem to remember reading somewhere about a falling out with some of the left's luminaries of the time (Jerry Reubin perhaps??).

PS I tried to send this twice and both times get a message from some minesweeper program on the Fleming network that this contains inappropriate language. I am a long-time lurker on this list and have not posted since the last ice age so I am rusty on the mechanics but I do recall something about taboo words so I am going to put in some ** and see if that works.