Any comments?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Apr 11 09:36:09 PDT 2000

Brad De Long wrote:

>But how does removing the IMF from the equation improve the
>situation of Mexico in January 1995 or South Korea in November 1997?
>And don't tell me that in the absence of the IMF countries will not
>find themselves hitting the wall because of unsustainable policies
>or subject to sudden large-scale capital flight. You aren't
>Charlie...

No, I'm not, nor do I play him on TV. I'm thinking the absence of the IMF would allow "developing" countries more room to evade the strictures of their rich masters, engage with the outside world more on their own terms than those of their masters, etc. Shutting the IMF is a necessary, but not sufficient, precondition for a slightly better world, in other words.

Doug