WSJ on A16

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Tue Apr 11 11:19:37 PDT 2000

RK: . . . I am not accusing the AFL-CIO of leading the charge to privatize. What I am saying is that if annualized review is maintained, then the US capitalist state can exert ever greater pressure to speed up privatization (there is surely reluctance to go at the pace the US would like) and to ensure that foreign buyers (instead of corrupt party insiders) can get what they want (which may mean overuse of foreign inputs and repatriation of profits in the long run).

mbs: don't be slippery. you quoted O'Connor approvingly to the effect that membership would open China up to more, not less, pressure, and you evidently see any such pressure from the U.S. as Bad. So why aren't you opposed to China entry into the WTO?