Bello: Close the IMF and World Bank

Chris Kromm ckromm at mindspring.com
Tue Apr 11 11:43:08 PDT 2000

This is good. The establishment says "fuck that weak shit" -- they're for shutting it down! CK

----- Original Message ----- From: Max Sawicky <sawicky at epinet.org> To: PEN-L (E-mail) <PEN-L at galaxy.csuchico.edu>; Lbo-Talk (E-mail) <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Tuesday, April 11, 2000 2:25 PM Subject: [PEN-L:17987] FW: [stop-imf] Bello: Close the IMF and World Bank

> FOCUS ON TRADE
> Number 48, April 2000
>
> Focus-on-Trade is a regular electronic bulletin providing updates and
> analysis of trends in regional and world trade and finance, with an
> emphasis on analysis of these trends from an integrative,
> interdisciplinary viewpoint that is sensitive not only to economic issues,
> but also to ecological, political, gender and social issues.
>
> Your contributions and comments are welcome. Please contact us c/o
> CUSRI, Wisit Prachuabmoh Building, Chulalongkorn University,
> Bangkok 10330 Thailand. Tel: (66 2) 218 7363/7364/7365, Fax: (66
> 2) 255 9976, E-Mail: admin at focusweb.org, Website:
> http://focusweb.org. Focus on the Global South is an autonomous
> programme of policy research and action of the Chulalongkorn
> University Social Research Institute (CUSRI) based in Bangkok.

> Pushing Meltzer to the Max!
>
> AS thousands of protestors descend on Washington for the 16 April
> action against the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund,
> they can take comfort in the fact that a growing number of people in
> high places share their views.
>
> In the latest issue of The New Republic (17 April), former World
> Bank chief economist Joseph Stiglitz aired his unflattering assessment
> of the IMF, accusing the Fund of secrecy AND bad economics. (To
> Stiglitz's credit, secrecy is the greater sin.) And just last month, the
US
> [...]
>
> During the heated debate on whether or not to raise the US quota in
> the IMF in 1998, the US Congress voted for the quota increase but
> attached several conditions, including the creation of an independent
> body to look at the missions and performance of the World Bank and
> the International Monetary Fund.
>
> The report of the International Financial Institution Advisory
> Commission, better known as the "Meltzer Report" after its chairman
> Alan Meltzer, serves as a striking confirmation from the mainstream of
> what progressive critics of the Bretton Woods Institutions have been
> saying for the last 25 years. Among the most important claims in the
> corpus of critical literature that the report supports are the following:
>
> - instead of promoting economic growth, the International Monetary
> Fund institutionalises economic stagnation;
>
> - the World Bank is irrelevant rather than central to the goal of
> eliminating global poverty;
>
> - both institutions are to a great extent driven by the interests of key
> political and economic institutions in the G-7 countries-particularly, in
> the case of the IMF, the US government and US financial interests;
>
> - the dynamics of both institutions derive not so much from the
> external demands of poverty alleviation or promoting growth but to
> the internal imperative of bureaucratic expansionism or empire-
> building.
>
> There is little in the report that was not earlier documented in such
> works as Cheryl Payer's The Debt Trap, Bruce Rich's Mortgaging the
> Future, Susan George's Faith and Credit, and the Food First trilogy
> Aid as Obstacle, Development Debacle: The World Bank in the
> Philippines, and Dark Victory: The US, Structural Adjustment, and
> Global Poverty. But then the importance of the document lies not only
> in its critique but in the fact that a significant part of the
establishment
> has embraced much of the progressive analysis, and, even more
> significantly, has made fairly radical proposals for the future of the
> Bretton Woods twins.
>
> Criticisms of the IMF have found a very receptive global audience
> recently owing to the devastating performance of the Fund during the
> Asian financial crisis. To the credit of its authors, the Meltzer Report
> was not taken in by the World Bank's propaganda that, in contrast to
> the IMF, it has turned a new leaf. The report shows that the much
> vaunted Poverty Reduction Strategy or Comprehensive Development
> Framework articulated by ideological entrepreneur James Wolfensohn
> is largely a public relations effort to save the Bank and that, although
it
> is billed as a new development paradigm, it is largely devoid of
> substance.
>
> The IMF: No Redeeming Value
>
> While diplomatic in its language when discussing the IMF, the report
> finds little of redeeming value in the institution. It shows that the
Fund's