A16 -- word on the street?

Chris Doss itschris13 at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 11 11:59:02 PDT 2000

I was at the Jubilee 2000 protest Sunday on the Mall. Very sedate, law-abiding event, as you might expect from a colation whose members include the Sisters of Charity. The whole event lasted from 12:00 until 4:30, when we marched up the Hill and formed a human chain around the Capitol Building (symbolizing the chains of debt, you know).

Turn-out was pretty good for such a windy day. Very eclectic group og people, a big labor presence (I'd say about a fourth of those attending were wearing labor jackets), the Franciscans, scattered anarchists, pierced individuals of indefinite political persuasion, nuns, middle-aged members of the CPUSA wandering about passing out the "People's Weekly," as is their wont, members of various and sundry religious orgenizations, Friends of the Earth, etc.

Quite a coalition we've got going here.