campus news

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Apr 12 13:20:31 PDT 2000

[from Sam Smith's Progressive Review]

TOM STRUNK, LOYOLA: School of the Americas Watch has started a national fast, which began Thursday. The fast will go for fourteen days, with participants fasting for as long as they feel comfortable. I myself am going to be fasting for at least six days. It is a juice fast. Each day of the two weeks will focus on a different country in Latin America. The idea is to bring the message home to communities throughout the United States, rather than just doing civil disobedience at Ft. Benning or DC. Here in Chicago there will be vigils held at the Federal building and visits to representative offices. At Loyola we're continuing to educate the campus with speakers and presentations. We also got union made T-shirts for the fasters.

SOA WATCH website: www.soaw.org

JOSHUA BUCK, UNIVERSITY OF IOWA: At approximately 11:30 PM on Saturday evening 16 University of Iowa Public Safety officers, along with 5 administrators, forcibly removed 30+ students and community members from the administration building, ultimately resulting in 5 arrests . . . After SAS members realized what was goin' down, SAS member and designated legal observer Joshua Buck immediately grabbed the cellular phone to contact the group's lawyer. Almost instantaneously, Public Safety officers aggressively snatched the phone and stated that Joshua would be arrested immediately if he did not back off. Another SAS member, Matt Killmeier, attempted to reach a phone in the basement to call the SAS attorney, and was denied access to the phone and threatened with arrest by an officer. UI administrators then proceeded to read a University letter condemning the occupation of Jessup Hall and announcing that SAS was in direct violation of many student codes and health and fire codes. It was also stated that everyone must vacate the premises immediately or they would face arrest. When he asked for clarifications about the violations, SAS member Ned Bertz was shouted down by the head Public Safety officer and told he was not allowed to ask questions . . . All 5 arrested UISAS members were charged with criminal trespass and taken to county jail. Four were released immediately; one who had refused an initial order to stand up and assist in his arrest was held on an additional charge of "interference" and was released on $650 bail.

MARIKA SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY: I just got back from the camp out on the quad and it is going well. People are sleeping right now and will be stationed there thru the end of the week. It is freezing [and] it's been snowing here but we have lots of people crammed into small tents so we're keeping warm . . . Ralph nader spoke on campus today. At the end of his speech school members rushed outside to set-up the tents. He came over to talk with us and wish us luck and solidarity in our struggle. To my knowledge, Nader is the only presidential candidate to come out in support of the student anti-sweatshop movement. Keep up the kick ass work everyone!!!!

UNITED STEELWORKERS OF AMERICA PRESIDENT GEORGE BECKER denounced Saturday's "midnight raid" against demonstrators at the University of Iowa as "a strong-arm suppression of free speech," and said students protesting sweatshop labor there "represent the finest traditions of our nation." "I am appalled that the university administration would use police power in an attempt to muzzle students whose only 'crime' is to defend the rights of workers who produce clothing bearing the University of Iowa logo," Becker said. "But apparently speaking out against rank violations of workers' human rights is not 'politically correct' at the University of Iowa.