fresh hot Slavoj

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Thu Apr 13 10:49:17 PDT 2000

. . . Z is saying that Marx was wrong to think of communism as a society of abundance where scarcity is overcome (I agree); that it canot be transparent (I agree), and that we should give up the idea that communism can do better than capitalism in terms of material welfare. . . .

I don't agree with this at all. The elimination of scarcity per se is obviously impossible and a straw man, tho I can't say if Marx is guilty of it. The improvement of material welfare is a whole different story.

In the area of theory, which is the only place communism is going to inhabit, it does not follow for a number of reasons. Nor does it follow under a more practical sort of social democracy or populism.

First goes to the definition of abundance. The bias against collective goods and 'disposable time' under capitalism could be alleviated. Even if we produced the same quantity of stuff, so to speak, the composition could be improved and human welfare advanced.

Then there are the socially wasteful industries we could look forward to contracting -- advertising, insurance, financial intermediation, etc. due to regulation and an increased public provision of the useful component of these services.

third is the chronic deficiency of demand and employment, something which could stand improvement and increase output in the process.

Fourth is the prevalence of monopoly, something which restricts output and innovation.

IMO, none of these are trivial in potential.

mbs