"Surplus" versus "Surplus Value"?

JKSCHW at aol.com JKSCHW at aol.com
Fri Apr 14 14:15:26 PDT 2000

All: I am working on a response your comments on my Hayeking.

Curtis:

In a paper I wrote on exploitation (Nous 1995), I suggested that the distinction between surplus & SV was that surplus is a more abstarct characterization, whatever is left over after replacing what is used up in production, while SV is of course the value of the S, measured by the socially necessary abstract labor time necessary to produce that abount of stuff (this is Marx's measure of the magnitude of SV). Therefore there is surplus in any nonsubsistance society, but SV only in a market society.

The Sovs made an attempt, early and foolishly, to account for their economy in labor value terms, which was pretty odd, since it wasn't supposed to be a market economy. Since values are not observable, like unlike prices, and since the "socially necessary" part is hard to compute, and since not all labor is commensurable and skilled labor is not a simple multipland of unskilled labor (as Marx treated it), value theortic notions are useless for accounting purposes.

Whether exploitation is occurring, I would suggest, is not a technical question but a moral one--is the surplus being taken wrongfuly from the producers, whether the wrong is due to injustice or some other wrong, such as force. So for thsi we look to the structure of society--do the producers have democratic control over their product? And not to any technical questions such as value theory could ansewer, if it could answer any questions.

--jks