"Surplus" vs "Surplus Value"

Curtiss Leung bofftagstumper at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 14 13:36:24 PDT 2000

Hi Charles:

You wrote:

> It doesn't seem likely that someone can accidentally

> exploit. The idea is that private property in the
> basic means of production will be abolished. No one
> will as a private individual or small group of
> private individuals "own" basic means of production,

> and hire wage laborers who sell their labor power,
> etc. ,etc. Without the institution of private
> property , which has a number of definitonal
> components, accidental exploitation cannot occur.

OK, but what about intentional, criminal exploitation?

As you note, private property has a number of definitional components, and I assume the abolishion of private property would require not only that these components be annulled, but other stipulations to protect communal use put into law. Now, without a production metric (to avoid completely the term "value") and some application of this metric, how can I express these stipulations? And how can I guard against complicated arrangements that are covertly exploitive?

-- Curtiss