Today's Stock Market Swoon

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Fri Apr 14 19:42:10 PDT 2000

Max, the tax argument is a logical possibility. Say that I sold by Cisco or Qualcomm earlier this year to buy a new hot IPO. I incurred capital gains, but may not have money on hand to pay my taxes. I have no idea how important this phenomenon might be.

The gains you incurred this year are not taxed until next year, tho it's possible you would be obliged to pay some estimated tax. But that has nothing to do w/April 15. If you realized gains last year and plowed it back into other stock, expecting to cash out only to pay your tax on 4/15, then there could be some effect. Of course, capital gains are taxed at a pretty low rate to begin with, and the rules are so complicated there is often a way to plan how to avoid tax on realized gains legally.

mbs