The Anarchist Soccer League: "Free Love vs. Free Trade"

Chuck0 chuck at dojo.tao.ca
Fri Apr 14 22:11:46 PDT 2000

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE TO ALL PRESS

FROM: The Anarchist Soccer League

SUBJECT: "Free Love vs. Free Trade"

DC's Anarchist Soccer League (ASL) challenges World Bank to soccer showdown.

It is time for the policy makers to take direct responsibility for the concerns of the general public. We feel it is the best option to take to the streets, and thus, we challenge the official to put up or shut up.

"If they win, we won't protest their catastrophic policies until Prague - if we win, they have to cancel Third World debt. It's that simple," said Kadd Stephens, an ASL member.

On April 16th, the ASL will descend on downtown DC in anticipation of the high-stakes match-up, hoping that this show of peaceful, good sportsmanship will entice World Bank delegates to "come out from behind those silly barricades and quit being so damned paranoid," said ASL regular Alanna Bolan. The game will take place in some close proximity to the World Bank and IMF buildings.

The anarchists insist that the challenge is non-violent, and will not involve property destruction. When asked about potential breaking of windows, ASL member Dave Duffy responded "I think I just broke wind."

The Radical Cheerleading Squad and Anarchist Drum Line are expected to provide halftime entertainment. The representatives from the World Bank are responsible for the refreshments that will be served at halftime.

The Anarchist Soccer League was formed in 1998 and plays weekly pick-up matches at Ft. Reno park every Sunday at 2pm. All are welcome, aside from scab reporters who cross picket lines -- they suck.

Attached is the note that was sent to World Bank and IMF officials.

Dear Heads of The World Bank and IMF,

We in the Anarchist Soccer League cordially invite you to take part in a soccer match at 6:30 a.m. on the morning of April 16th. This match will have stakes, though, if we win, you have to cancel the entire Third World Debt and if you win we will not protest your existence until Prague in September. We think that these stakes are reasonable and see no reason why our offer will be refused. I hope that you understand that failure to show up for the game will result in forfeit, which means that we win and you must cancel the debt.

Thank you very much and see you on the pitch,

The Anarchist Soccer League

"If I can't play soccer, I don't want to be a part of your revolution!"