Help needed quick on garden variety "unfunded liabilities"

John K. Taber jktaber at dhc.net
Sat Apr 15 17:31:22 PDT 2000

I'm involved again in another argument on Social Security. The pejorative "unfunded liability" has come up. I remember reading somewhere that a lot of "liabilities" are unfunded. I seem to remember an example like one's mortgage payments, or a corporation's payroll.

I'm checking with you guys because I want to avoid blundering. Please give me examples of non-invidious unfunded liabilities.

Thanks

PS I hope Doug gets the list server working again. -- Believe me, the most alarming of all novelties, the most wild of all projects, the most rash of all attempts, is that of rending us in pieces in order to preserve our liberties and promote our happiness. -- Madison (Federalist XIV)