D.C. Shut Down

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Sun Apr 16 21:31:09 PDT 2000

If you work for the Feds at a site between 12th and 21st street, and south of K, you've got a day off tomorrow. Cars will be kept out of a larger area, south of M. So tomorrow may look a lot like today -- an inner, totally fortified area inside of which the meetings go on, and a somewhat larger evacuated downtown area for the demonstrators to mill around in. And surrounding that, a godawful traffic jam, though it's possible nobody will go to work. The precedent for the latter is the Million Man March, when lots of white people stayed home. Downtown was great -- quiet and totally uncongested.

For the whole Fed govt, it's similar to a snow day. Regardless of where you work, 'liberal leave' is in effect. Meaning you can use one of your days off.

TV showed one person arrested for having two molotov cocktails -- real ones, not empty coke bottles.

The Chief is pretty slick. He was visiting the police lines, getting filmed telling his cops to chill out. Idiots on the demo side were shaking hands with him.

Now I'm thinking tomorrow will be anti-climactic, unless the direct action people have some clever new ideas. In a sense the police have conceded the ground by fencing it in. You threaten to disrupt traffic, we will shut off traffic altogether.

mbs