Update on Day 2 of anti-World Bank/IMF protests

Chuck0 chuck at dojo.tao.ca
Mon Apr 17 07:01:43 PDT 2000

Please disseminate this message freely:

My affinity group is still at home this morning, so I'm able to update folks on the situation in Washington, DC.

First off, here's a great scene of the black bloc skirmishing with the cops yesterday at 14th and K st.: http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/p/nm/20000416/pl/mdf68441.html

Today, our number have dwindled, because of a torrential rainstorm and tired feet, but protests downtown have escalated. Cops have been pepper-spraying, tear-gassing, and beating up demonstrators, mostly at K St. and Connecticut Ave. I've seen several anarchists on TV go down and have been apparently arrested.

Several brave activists attempted to lay down in front of delegate buses and cop cars. Quite recently a group of people did a sit-in and were arrested.

I've been in contact with my anarchist sources who are down on the Ellipse. They tell me that they have heard reports that the black bloc has been surrounded at 17th and M St. This has been unconfirmed, but we apparently have several anarchists who have been arrested and will need legal support. We have a legal team who will hopefully be on top of the situation.

This may be my last update until tonight. I'll be posting lots of photos and info on my website starting later tonight.

I consider it a nice day when anarchists joined with other activists to give government employees a "protest snow day." ;-)

Chuck0