my report from DC

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Apr 19 13:49:31 PDT 2000

David Jennings wrote:

>Overall, my impression is that this movement is turning more
>revolutionary, popular, and international, and less green-malthusian,
>local-fetishistic, and reformist.

Yes, seems that way to me too, and it brings a tear to my eye. The green-malthsuian, local-fetishistic, and reformist folks in the International Forum on Globalization still run the teach-ins though. Kevin Danaher's list of the "leaders" of the movement basically sounded like a run-down of the IFG cast list.

CBC's Counterspin did a live show from DC on Monday night. I'm told by someone who was there that a young Indian woman in the audience denounced Vandana Shiva for being "out of touch with the realities of modern India," and that Shiva got all "defensive" in return. Would love to hear more about this, if anyone was in the audience or saw the show.

Doug