Washington Post on A16

Wed Apr 19 13:44:12 PDT 2000

>Yeah, and there's the Metzer report.

>>To be frank, I was expecting the Post to visit the rhetorical wrath of God
>>upon the protesters. Instead, coverage has been universally sympathetic or
>>even supportive. What is going on? Has the world gone mad?

>>CB: There was something else recently that tended to be evidence
>>that perhaps a sector of the bourgeoisie or two agrees with
>>scrapping the IMF and the World Bank. Soros is in the ruling class,
>>i'n't he ? Are they dizzy like foxes ?
>>
>>CB

Meltzer Report.

There are a bunch of people who think that problems with the world economy arise because it is not laissez-faire enough--that the World Bank and IMF are bad because they are institutions of collective self-government that interfere with the free operation of the market by creating moral hazard, pushing prices away from market equilibrium values, and so on.

That bunch of people are stronger than you are. And you are aiding them. It's like watching people congratulate themselves on kicking the ball past their own goalie...

Brad DeLong