Labor's Failure in D.C.

Chris Kromm ckromm at mindspring.com
Tue Apr 18 12:05:11 PDT 2000

Add another voice to the choir of people tremendously disappointed to see so little labor turn-out for A16. I'm getting pretty sick and tired of people denouncing the N30/A16 activists as "young white kids." If the leaders of many groups -- AFL-CIO, large civil rights organizations, etc. etc. -- had any spine and committed to putting muscle behind these marches, they would have been MUCH more diverse in terms of race/class. Don't tell me that the leaders of many of these groups were "left out" of the organizing or somehow didn't know -- if they had WANTED to be there, they would have been.

On a more positive note, this weekend I also attended a conference/reunion for SNCC (Student Non-Violent Coordinating Committee) in Raleigh, North Carolina (yes, I was doing a *lot* of driving). Hundreds of activists young and old came together to discuss SNCC's legacy. They also passed a resolution supporting the A16 protests, noting that they would have been there had it not been for their meeting.

CK

----- Original Message ----- From: Jay Moore <research at neravt.com> To: <marxism at lists.panix.com> Sent: Tuesday, April 18, 2000 1:45 PM Subject: Re: Labor's Failure in D.C.

> I would have to agree with Daniel. At the legal rally on Sunday, a lot of
> platform air space was given to name speakers from various labor unions --
> primarily "leaders" and officials, including the AFL-CIO's Richard Trumka
> (formerly head of the UMWA) and the head of the Steelworkers Union, rather
> than rank and file activists. As usual at these kinds of things, I was
> listening to the speakers with only one ear. In general, they seemed to
be
> laying down a pretty good rap -- about uniting against the global race to
> the bottom, etc. -- and lavishly praised the youth and students for
leading
> the way in the oppositional movement. However, from my close observation
of
> the crowd at the legal rally, which I circulated through a lot taking
> photos, and on the subsequent march, the AFL-CIO did diddly-squat to bring
> out the membership for this one. I saw a sprinkling of union jackets and
> T-shirts. But they were relatively few. The largest labor contingent I
> saw -- maybe 30 or 40 folks -- were from the United Electrical Workers --
> which, of course, was disaffiliated from the AFL-CIO during McCarthyism.
> saw some folks from the Labor Party, but even they didn't seem to have
much
> of a real presence. Sad but true.
>
> I've been reading Paul Buhle's new book (which I greatly recommend) on the
> duplicity/treason of the old AFL-CIO leadership starting with Gompers.
> Gompers could sometimes talk like a radical, too, when it served his
> interests (even George Meany could). But action is what counts. We have
> yet to witness much positive action from this new leadership. Instead in
> this D.C. instance, and following right along in the racist footsteps of
> their predecessors (see Buhle), they organized a separate, xenophobic type
> of demonstration against admitting China to the WTO. That's what they
> mobilized workers for. We should be glad, I guess, that they only could
> mobilize 15,000. No doubt the Gore factor is important, too. But look at
> the racism of this labor aristocracy.
>
> best,
> jay
> http://www.neravt.com/left/