this is progressive/ China

Stephen E Philion philion at hawaii.edu
Tue Apr 18 10:40:30 PDT 2000

Charles, It's good to see you are promoting an article from a Marxist who is quite critical of reform in China. This article is well worth studying and discussing. Smith's article and articles like it are the kinds of critical discussion of Chinese reform we need more of

Smith is a sharp Trotskyist thinker. His original article in New left Review on the contradictions of reform is especially worth reading. The only big flaw in Smith's writing is his liberal usage of data from people like Harry Wu. Smith uncritically regurgitates Wu's claims like Workers' World uncritcally regurgitate statistics on unionisation in China. Still, his arguments are important ones in the debate on China's present and future direction...

Steve