Fwd: URGENT: jailed brothers and sisters need our help!

Chuck0 chuck at tao.ca
Tue Apr 18 11:48:18 PDT 2000

-------- Original Message -------- Subject: URGENT: jailed brothers and sisters need our help! Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 13:54:47 -0400 From: Mark Laskey <kronstadt at juno.com>

I know of at least one anarchist comrade who was arrested yesterday and is being accused of felonious assault on a police officer. There must be others (such as the black masked person caught with the mollies in their backpack, and any number of others who got picked up on assault or serious property destruction). Yesterday, numerous police actions were specifically targetted against small clusters of black bloc. I have heard of at least three seperate occasions where groups of anarchists were completely surrounded by police vehicles and riot police and carted off for no apparent reason. No doubt police and federal agencies will use these arrests in an attempt to gather information the anarchist movement. Every anarchist who was arrested on misdemeanor charges and released should keep a careful record of what sorts of questions are being asked by police. Also, we need to be extremely solid in supporting the felonies. After Seattle, most of the active pleas for solidarity funds were made by a very small handful of anarchist collectives. At this point, MALF has less than $2000 to split between 20 Seattle arrestees facing serious charges. WE NEED TO DO BETTER THAN THIS! If we are going to continue to grow as a strong and militant revolutionary movement, we need to ensure the necessary support for our arrested comrades. We need to continually build up a finacial "warchest" for situations like this, and this can't be effectively accomplished by a few small anarchist collectives. Already the Mutual Aid Legal Fund collective has agreed to act in this capacity, however, we need a network of anarchist groups willing to raise funds for this project. All this takes is a committment to setting up a benefit concert or potluck, hitting up sympathetic activists with money, writing a grant (there are leftist groups, such as "Resist" here in Boston that will give grants for direct action), or passing the hat whithin each of our own groups. Let's get on it!

________________________________________________________________ YOU'RE PAYING TOO MUCH FOR THE INTERNET! Juno now offers FREE Internet Access! Try it today - there's no risk! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.