Labor's Failure in D.C.

Stephen E Philion philion at hawaii.edu
Tue Apr 18 15:09:38 PDT 2000

I simply think Andy's argument should be read carefully. I disagree with the stance on China trade, but monolithic portrayals of the AFL-CIO will not help make any progress on that issue, for those who would like to see it changed.

Luxemburg made an argument I believe in Reform or Revolution that the way to strengthen the left is by making alliances with progressive sectors of the labor movement, real alliances. Those kinds of alliances can't be made if we argue that the movement is a monolithic entity...

Steve

Stephen Philion Lecturer/PhD Candidate Department of Sociology 2424 Maile Way Social Sciences Bldg. # 247 Honolulu, HI 96822