Washington Post on A16

Wed Apr 19 17:43:04 PDT 2000

>OOH, you have the "leftists" who want those institutions to vanish
>because they
>represent and work for the interests of the "ruling class", so to speak. OTOH,
>you have the so-called liberals (in the austrian sense) like Milton
>Friedman and
>others who would like to see those Institutions dissapear because
>they represent
>a "restriction" to our freedom to choose and do not let markets get the prices
>right.
>
>where are you? :).

I'm a social democrat who believes that markets need to be managed and controlled by democratically-based political institutions. So I'm for a bigger, kinder, gentler IMF run by European social democrats.

And red-brown alliances scare me: the browns usually seem to have a keener nose for what is going on than the reds...

Brad DeLong