Lagavulin was Re: Hundreds arrested

Rob Schaap rws at comedu.canberra.edu.au
Wed Apr 19 22:13:40 PDT 2000

Aw, sheeet! For a minute there it looked as if I was on to both a Lagavullin and a Laphroig! Confronted with defaults like this, what's a peripheral power to do? No IMF to destroy my tormentors' livelihoods and bring them under my control, no bovver boyz to send in on my behalf, and no chance of the Australian kopek bringing down Sterling, either! My plight is obvious to any institutionalist, but those silly neoclassicals still insist on trying to comfort me with the news I'm running a terrific current account. Let them try to borrow a shot of nectar against that sorta collateral!

All I can do is tune into the resurgence, and float my data bank service, Welcher-dot-com. I'm offering ten shares at a Jamesons a piece, and I'll keep ninety. That way I'm suddenly worth a hundred bottles of Jamesons. Then I'll redeem as many of the technically outstanding 90 bottles as I can get, and leave the ten suckers to their brickless clicks. 'Course I'd be adding 50% to Welcher.dot.com in the process, as my name would have to join Daniel's and Mark's in the data bank. I'd beggar my stockholders, cop a good drink, and become a WSJ posterboy in one fell swoop!

It's fair exchanges like this that make that tired old 20th century exploitation of the wage relation seem so vulgar, doncha think?

Yours bullishly, Rob.