Beryllium

Tom Lehman uswa12 at Lorainccc.edu
Thu Apr 20 06:59:23 PDT 2000

Last night ABC News 20/20 did a nice little report on the hazards of beryllium. It's posted on the ABC News website.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/onair/2020/2020_000419_beryllium_feature.html

One of the concerns here in Lorain is that Brush Wellman will store hundreds or thousands of pounds of beryllium in Lorain. Even if they agree not to use it in their production processes---which are gross foundry processes!

We already have one really unsightly dump in Lorain---LTV Steel Corp's iron pellet dump which ruins the view of one of the most beautiful harbors on Lake Erie. The LTV pellet dump employs a whole 13 people and is nothing but an eyesore. Now some of my friends who are politicians are being given a snow job by Brush Wellman and the future maybe another dump and this time a very dangerous dump in Lorain.

Btw, I'm still trying to find out who paid for those 11,000 x-rays after the 1948 Brush beryllium disaster in Lorain.

Tom Lehman