Zizek: film reviewer

kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca
Thu Apr 20 08:46:40 PDT 2000

On Thu, 20 Apr 2000 11:18:03 -0400 Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> Don't know if this is the one, but SZ told me he wrote a review of Mr
> Ripley without having seen the movie.

Yeah, but I'll betcha a pint that he's read the Patricia Highsmith novel (he's definitely read at least *some* of her work). He pulled the same stunt in Enjoy Your Symptom with his "review" of Roberto Rossellini's films (which he'd never seen). The essay from Enjoy Your Symptom (embarassingly?) actually generated a critique by Sarah Herbold (who hadn't noticed that Zizek hadn't seen the films).

ken