Washington Post on A16

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Apr 20 08:42:23 PDT 2000

Brad De Long wrote:

>Hope so. But you can never tell in advance. I thought we were
>stronger than Reagan, too...

Who's "we"? And why did you think that? The U.S. elite was clearly moving rightwards from the mid-1970s onwards. Carter gave us a balanced budget, the mandated 3% real increase in yearly military spending, and Paul Volcker - but still that wasn't enough. The employing class was clearly sick of unions, and the warrior class were pushing Team B and the Committee on the Present Danger. Reagan was the natural outgrowth of all that. What were the counter-forces?

Doug