Washington Post on A16

Enrique Diaz-Alvarez enrique at anise.ee.cornell.edu
Thu Apr 20 09:12:39 PDT 2000

Brad De Long wrote:

> I'm a social democrat who believes that markets need to be managed
> and controlled by democratically-based political institutions. So I'm
> for a bigger, kinder, gentler IMF run by European social democrats.

Brad, I am with you here. The problem is, Larry Summers has made it clear that this will happen over the US treasury's dead body. Even after their abject failures, the IMF's market fetishists are more firmly in control than ever before, Stiglitz, the mildest of soc-dem Keynesians, has been purged. Summers has made it clear that only candidates palatabe to Goldman, Sachs will even be considered for running the thing. And two years after the Asian debacle, not a single one of the Keynesian proposals are even being considered. I say, shut it down, start from scratch.

At least this is how it looks from the outside.

-- Enrique Diaz-Alvarez Office # (607) 255 5034 Electrical Engineering Home # (607) 272 4808 112 Phillips Hall Fax # (607) 255 4565 Cornell University mailto:enrique at ee.cornell.edu Ithaca, NY 14853 http://peta.ee.cornell.edu/~enrique