Times flacks for Ikea

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Apr 20 09:49:13 PDT 2000

At 11:52 AM 4/20/00 -0400, Doug wrote:
>[from Johnson's Russia List]
>
>From: "Matthew Taibbi" <matt_taibbi at hotmail.com>
>Subject: eXile press review
>
>[excerpt]
>Is This Thing On?
>Press Review
>By Matt Taibbi
>
>....In many ways the [New York] Times provides the ultimate proof of why
>the intelligent and college-educated are more easily fooled than the poor
>and unsophisticated. People are much more easily distracted when they have

--- snip

The most scary thing is that the Times is one of very few mainstream rags in the US that covers any foreign stories at all. So what the average US-er gets is either journalistic schlock cooked by super-arrogant US flacks (believe me, the arrogance of US journalists and businessmen abroad is surpassed by virtually noone!) or get no foreign coverage at all.

Just like in the good ol'e Nazi Germany that invented the "loyal citizen radio" - a radio receiver that had a switch instead of dial to switch the stations between Berlin and local. No foreign broadcast could be possibly received - just like in the USA today dominated by local FM bands and propaganda-central (NYT, NPR, ABC, CNN). Sieg heil!

wojtek