"Meet the New New Left: bold, fun, and stupid, " in TNR

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Fri Apr 21 07:14:16 PDT 2000

Peter K.:
> As for your point about the less credulous - what's aimed at them/us is
> TINA - there is no alternative, i.e., what, you want Dick Armey as the
> Secretary of the Treasury?

There's also entrainment into technique. "Yes, this war is evil and also going badly -- so help us think of how we can get out of it without a bloodbath, a catastrophe." This was good for about five years and several hundred thousand causalties in Vietnam. Application of analogous rhetorical procedures to more recent ruling-class schemes should be obvious.