RES: a trip to North Korea

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Apr 21 09:35:35 PDT 2000

Alexandre Fenelon wrote:

> Speaking of North Korea, I have a question for ya. I was under the
> impression that the country is a textbook example of squalor.

And just what sources did this impression come from? All the concrete information I have seen indicates that before the disastrous (nature- induced) famines of recent years North Korea was doing much better than most third-world nations. I think my source was an MR article, but I can't be certain. But as long as we are dealing in impressions (apparently from outer space or a ouiji board) mine was that North Korea was particularly good in caring for children.

Carrol