DC cop techniques

Chuck0 chuck at tao.ca
Fri Apr 21 12:41:47 PDT 2000

This article is basically a PR piece for Ramsey and the D.C. cops. They were far less in control of the weekend than they let on to believe. They didn't have the guts to arrest any Black Bloc (RACB) anarchists until Monday morning, when our numbers were smaller. They backed down everytime the Sunday RACB challenged them. On Monday, the cowards simply arrested any young person dressed in black who tried to rendezvous with other anarchists.

I'm still trying to confirm the rumor that one of our anarchists is up on felony charges for spitting on Ramsey.

Chuck0

Doug Henwood wrote:

> [via Michael Eisenscher]
>
> Nice Cop-Tough Cop Tactic Paid Off for District Police
> By Arthur Santana
> Washington Post Staff Writer
> Thursday, April 20, 2000; Page B01
>
> The call went out around midnight on Mobilization Radio, the pirate
> station that aired messages to the activists: Meet in Dupont Circle
> at 4 a.m. for some street action against the World Bank.
>
> Protesters had hoped to outsmart the police, by starting so early.
> But when they began converging on Dupont in a driving rain Monday
> morning, a half-dozen patrol cars were parked around the circle.
> Unmarked cars staked out adjacent streets.
>
> Once again, the D.C. police seemed to know what protesters were up to
> before the protesters themselves did.
>
> "Let's go . . .," said a dispirited young woman with a garbage bag
> for a raincoat, and the demonstrators melted into the soggy dawn.
>
> In the struggle between police and protesters over the past two
> weeks, that is how it has gone. Behind vivid images of Police Chief
> Charles H. Ramsey with a rose, or of black-bandanna-wearing activists
> beating plastic garbage pails, there was a constant current of solid
> police work, undercover gambits, informants, intimidation, guile and
> testing the limits of legality.
>
> The tactics used, from surveillance to confrontation to keeping
> protesters in jail for long hours, kept the city safe and the
> protesters frustrated and complaining that their rights had been
> violated or that they had been beaten and bloodied.
>
> The success of police tactics has led to the glow of victory for the
> oft-beleaguered Metropolitan Police Department and for its chief of
> two years.
>
> Ramsey and Executive Assistant Chief Terrance W. Gainer know just how
> different this week could have been. When the same protests hit
> Seattle late last year, the city erupted in tear gas, beatings and
> disarray of the police force. Both the chief and one of the Seattle
> deputies are gone, retired.
>
> "I think [Ramsey] was probably the best prepared police chief I've
> ever seen," said Gerald Arenberg, a 70-year-old retired police
> officer who is familiar with D.C. police and is the spokesman for the
> National Association of Chiefs of Police. "He used the resources of
> several other police agencies to break the back of the protesters."
>
> It didn't just happen. Ramsey and Gainer said intensive training for
> 1,500 officers made their force ready. The city ordered gear. The
> force worked extreme hours. At times, officers shoved and pushed and
> in several instances beat protesters with their batons. At other
> times, they blocked streets and let protesters march, or they faded
> into the background or stopped traffic so the parade could pass.
>
> "This was a turning point for the department, sworn and civilian,"
> Ramsey said. "We're all on cloud nine."
>
> The Dupont Circle incident was not the only one in which police
> [...]

-- << Chuck0 >>

This was the year *everything* changed.

-- Commander Ivanova, 2261

Mid-Atlantic Infoshop -> http://www.infoshop.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/

Homepage -> http://flag.blackened.net/chuck0/home/

"A society is a healthy society only to the degree that it exhibits anarchistic traits."

- Jens Bjørneboe