Why pick on Harlem? (infant mortality)

Fri Apr 21 13:14:35 PDT 2000

I am not the one picking on Harlem. It is capitalism that is picking on Harlem, ... and Detroit.

The point is that capitalism, not communism , causes squalor, domestically and abroad.

Power,

CB

>>> Jim Westrich <westrich at miser.umass.edu> 04/21/00 03:01PM >>>
[Charles Brown made a point about the high infant mortality rates in Harlem]

The infant mortality rate in Central Harlem in 1998 was 11.8 per 1000 births. East Harlem is 7.7 per 1,000 births. Higher than the national average for sure but there are many worse places in the United States.

Bedford (Brooklyn) has a rate of 13.9 per 1000 births which is the highest in NYC.

Anyway, for example, places in Michigan are worse (although there has been significant improvement in Michigan over the last 10 years). Citywide data for Detroit (14.9 per 1000), Flint (15.7), Pontiac (14.4) and even Saginaw (13.4). These are 3-year moving averages for 1996-8. [The rate for non-whites in Pontiac is 24.4].

And before we leave the United States the infant mortality rates of boys are higher than for girls.

Rates in the Northwest Territories in Canada are higher (13 per 1000) in 1998.

Infant mortality in the sub-Saharan Africa as a whole is 90 per 1000 in 1997. Sierra Leone is 178.

North Korea is not a WHO member so they don't have their numbers but the CIA estimates it at 25.5 per 1000 (1999).

Cuba is 7.2 per 1000 in 1998, Haiti 74.4 and Brazil 39.8 (Pan American Health Organization)

Peace,

Jim

"Imagine my wish for a future that cannot hold my wish."

--Paul Heaton