independent journals, the future of

Patrick F. Durgin kenning at avalon.net
Fri Apr 21 15:25:28 PDT 2000

Fence is a literary review with a highly problematic stance on the confluence of aesthetic and civic politics. If interested, I can post an editorial from my own literary "newsletter" vaguely detailing that stance.

Patrick

-----Original Message----- From: Peter K. <peterk at enteract.com> To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Date: Friday, April 21, 2000 4:44 PM Subject: independent journals, the future of

>[For all you lucky folks in New York City. What's Fence?
>What's Open City?
>Coincidently and trivially, about a month ago Suck.com ran
>a letter of mine where I responded to a earlier letter by someone
>who said he agreed with Eggers who in an interview with the
>Village Voice had said that he could only read Suck once in
>a while b/c it was like having someone yelling in your ear.
>Tongue in cheek, in my letter I said if forced to choose I'd take Suck
>over McSweeney's because Suck is free and I accused
>McSweeny's of more or less copying The Baffler's old-timey
>look. Suck on Eggers:
>http://www.suck.com/daily/2000/03/07/
>

>Monday April 24th
>6:30-8:00 p.m. Columbia University Graduate
>School of Journalism (116 St. and Broadway)
>Lecture Hall, Third Floor
>
>THE LITTLE MAGAZINE IN THE AGE OF
>MASSIVE MEDIA
>
>Four Editors Discuss the Future of the Independent
>Journal Featuring:
>
>DAVE EGGERS Editor, McSweeney's; Author, "A Heartbreaking Work of
Staggering