Salon on Steelworker "Boss" Becker at A16

Tom Lehman TLehman at lor.net
Sat Apr 22 13:15:56 PDT 2000

Pete--These so-called free trade deals are environmental disasters. They ought to be called open sewer trade deals. I think the infamous Larry Summers memo pointed this type of thinking out---regardless of whether Summers' wrote it or not.

As far as this "union bosses" stuff goes, George Becker and all of our past USWA presidents have been elected by direct secret ballot of the membership. George is going to go down in the books as one of the best presidents of the Steelworkers along with Phil Murray and Lynn Williams. Personally, I don't envy George his job. Here's a guy who spends his life getting on and off airplanes, driving to out of the way places only to get beat up by guys like me.

I really like the Baffler and I like the Baffler's style of criticism of modern corporate management techniques. I saw a new best seller management technique book at Borders the other day. It was called the Seven Secrets of Business Warfare and on the cover is a picture of an Asia-Eurasian with a stick in his hand. The author's name was Moskowitz or something like that---a real important read from the tout Borders was giving the book.

I often wonder what new corporate management technique is going to be sold out of the back of a car trunk here and across industrial America.

Pete, you have got to understand that there is a verbal judo :o) going on between corporate management and organized labor in this country. Part of this verbal judo :o) is over the meaning of these out of the back of the trunk terms.

Tom Lehman