RES: a trip to North Korea

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Apr 22 22:43:26 PDT 2000

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
> >Reparations from America, etc. that fought in the Korean War, to
> >begin with. Reparation from Japan to atone for its colonialism &
> >wartime atrocities.
>
> Right, I'm sure those will be immediately forthcoming. Aside from
> this lovely fantasy, what do you suggest NK really do?

Doug, you're being deliberately obtuse here. Clearly no one calling for reparations expects that to be the solution for North Korea or Vietnam. (It is outrageous that u.s. leftists haven't made a more consistent racket for reprations to Vietnam. We could never win them -- but some obeisance has to be paid to simple honesty and decency.)

And why in the hell should *anyone* on this list be in the business of suggesting what North Korea should do? That's ridiculous for a number of reasons. And clearly no one on this list knows a fucking thing about real conditions in NK. Yoshie seems to be the only one to have even a remote hint.

Carrol