East Timor as a UN Colony

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Apr 23 14:29:17 PDT 2000

"Peter K." wrote:

> Carrol:
> >The word "Advocate" in this context is wrong. The Left (at least as of
> >now) can only *oppose*. Advocacy for this that or the other policy
> >in foreign affairs will, in practice, only lend support for u.s.
> imperialist
> >policies. All action by the u.s. beyond its own borders must be opposed
> >by the u.s. left.
>
> And by U.S., you mean the government, and all international institutions
> it's a member of?

Substantially, yes. The U.S. on the whole is only nominally a "member" of international institutions. They mostly just give coverage to U.S. actions. I would be willing to entertain specific nominations of exceptional institutions. There may be one or two hidden around.

> Would you advocate working with the isolationist right?

No. Cockburn's willingness to do so I consider contemptible. My original admiration of Cockburn almost 20 years ago was his clear anti-racism. His recent "alliances" have smirched that record.

I have no quarrel with the remainder of your post.

Carrol