elian

JKSCHW at aol.com JKSCHW at aol.com
Sun Apr 23 14:50:42 PDT 2000

<< did i miss it? no one has any comments on the redick way the feds treated the elian situation?

tear gas? guns? fuckmedead! connections. look people we'll fuck you over if you keep getting out of hand.

what the hell is the deal with this situation that it got treated like this?? what the hell is at stake? clinton/cuba/reno. is there some reason why clinton needed to go out in this blaze of (gag) glory? i've not been following this issue because it bored me to tears after a month of it.

thoughts? >>

* * *

>From a political point of view I thought the situation was mishandled. The
govt let it go on far too long; they should have moved as soon as the INS ruled. And what were they thinking, letting photographers in there? Now, was it bad, an evil instance of government repression, to enforce a government ruling not obviously bad in itself (the child arguably belongs in custody of the surviving parent) with force? No, unless you are an anarchist who thinks that governmental decisions whould not be enforceable. Outside the anarchist community that would be a hard sell. Liberals like me and Marxist-Leninists will agree that there is legitimate state coercion. Perhaps even the latter will agree that there can be legitimate coercion, in some circumstances, by the bourgeois state. Thsi might be one of those circumstances. Whether it was carried out in a prudent way, whether it was politically smart, that is a different matter. --jks