Picasso, Korea, and "Stalinist Trash"

Mon Apr 24 05:50:41 PDT 2000

Comrade Picasso was a party member for a while.

CB

>>> Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> 04/21/00 09:47PM >>>

From Bruce Cumings, _War and Television_ (NY: Verso, 1992):

***** A rule of this amnesia [about the Korean War} might be, 'all of so-and-so's paintings (or photographs, or books, or cinema) are interesting except those done about Korea.' Thus I found out only by reading the fine print of Picasso's obituary that he did a mural in 1951 in the genre of _Guernica_, titled _Massacre in Korea_; I put it on the cover of my first book and then saw the original at the grand Picasso exhibition a few years ago in New York...and then read Hilton Kramer's review of the exhibition, where he referred to the mural as 'Stalinist trash.'... (146-7) *****

Yoshie