The Week

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Mon Apr 24 06:23:27 PDT 2000

At 03:16 PM 4/23/00 +0100, Jim hearfield quoted:
>The WEEK
>ending 23 April 2000
>

>WASHINGTON'S CHILD-CENTRED FOREIGN POLICY
>
>Six-year old Cuban Elian Gonzalez was taken from his grandfather's home
>in Miami at gunpoint by federal agents on 22 April. The sole survivor of
>a shipwreck of Cuban's seeking asylum in the US, Elian has been adopted

Since when a 6-year old has the capacity to pursue legal actions in the US, seeking asylum or otherwise? By all legal standrads, Elian was a victim of kidnapping - under most state laws transporting a kid to another state (let alone country) without a consent of a non-custodial parent amounts to that.

It is as if someobody tried to steal acar form my neighbor but abandoned it in my driveway - it would be preposterous for me to keep the car claiming that the neighbor owes me money.

The INS screwed things up when they found the boy - they should have returned him to Cuba immediately as they do with thousands of other illegal immigrants trying to enter this country.

wojtek