elian

James Ray Watkins jwatkins at astro.ocis.temple.edu
Mon Apr 24 07:24:46 PDT 2000

I think, too, that there is an interesting question about something like "leadership style" or maybe strategy here as well. I agree that Reno had to be aware of the possibility of violence, etc. But I think it would have been possible to avoid the use of guns and make an important point if, say, Reno had done this herself in person in full daylight and with, say, a secret service person or two. I am certain her nun friend would have gone as well.

I think this would have both "enforced the rule of law" as they say and made a much stronger point about how a more or less enlightened government deals with a small faction of right wing fanatics. After all, this was or was on the verge of becoming, a political hostage situation. This would have required a kind of courage that seems almost gone in the current professional classes. Alas.

Ray Watkins, Temple University

-----Original Message----- From: owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com [mailto:owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com]On Behalf Of Wojtek Sokolowski Sent: Monday, April 24, 2000 9:11 AM To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Subject: Re: elian

At 11:12 PM 4/22/00 -0400, kelley asks:

my question was real simple. why the excessive use of force? there has to be a reason for it. they have to be able to justify the use of that kind of force or they have to have felt they had a goal that would justify

The answert is very simple too, kelley babe - you always come with overwhelming force to prevent the situation getting out of hand - as it did in Waco for example. Would you rather prefer a social workers pleading the government case to a bunch of right wing gangesters and getting into a fight with them if they refuse to cooperate... multiplying causlaties, injuries, etc.? At least nobody got hurt in this raid.

btw - i love those rare occasions when the US cops beat the shit out of right-wingers or kick the anti-Castro Miami gansters in their teeth. It is a great symbolic victory for Fidel.

wojtek