Chinese Agricultral Policy--Farmer Brown Gets Snookered

Tom Lehman uswa12 at Lorainccc.edu
Mon Apr 24 09:03:35 PDT 2000

After reading some comments by Paul Gillmor, on how China/PNTR/WTO would be good for American farmers, I decided to do a little research. Here's a little of what I found out from a cursory reading of the pro-pntr propaganda on the Agriculture Department(USDA) website.

China is a large exporter of corn.

China is a large exporter of rice.

China is an exporter of soybeans and is expected to be a larger exporter of soybeans.

China has huge grain reserves---the Chinese government keeps the amount of the reserves it holds secret.

China has 40% more arable land than is reported---due to internal tax issues.

China is expected to improve its seed quality, fertilizer use, and irrigation. Their government has set aside money for improvements in these areas. ( This is a real kicker, according to the USDA the Chinese in the inland rural areas don't use fertilizer period and in areas it is used they don't use a good cheap basic fertilizer like urea.)

Chinese grain yields per acre are about 1/2 of US yields.

So to make a long story short the promised bonanza for American farmers looks like an empty promise. If anything American agricultural exports to Asia may decline.

Remember these facts have been gleaned from pro-pntr propaganda on the USDA website. Did you know that China is the second largest exporter of corn in the world?

Tom Lehman

440-282-6015