elian

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Mon Apr 24 14:05:32 PDT 2000

buddy, i've had my home busted into twice and smacked around and falsely arrested and thrown into a jail cell without one word as to why i was arrested, so i don't need you to tell me about cops. my question was real simple. why the excessive use of force? there has to be a reason for it. they have to be able to justify the use of that kind of force or they have to have felt they had a goal that would justify it even if having to take the heat in the meantime.

My first reaction to the famous pix was, my, aren't those fellows overdressed?

Scuttlebutt is that the DoJ received "information" that Cuban exiles in the crowd outside were armed and about to turn the little house into a hostage situation. What a godawful mess that would have been. This would tend to justify the display of force, tho not necessarily the invasion of the home itself by the SWAT team. They could have all been dressed in blazers and straw hats and led by Ronald McDonald, & accomplished the same task.

I notice the Gov has not gone to great lengths to justify the tactics, preferring instead to emphasize that it worked -- i.e., they snatched the kid and nobody was physically harmed.

legal tidbit: my wife is an attorney and connoisseur of the differences in application of immigration law for Cubans vs. Haitians. Her one-sentence verdict: there is no issue of law because the boy has a father. If he didn't, the whole thing would be less cut-and-dried.

mbs